Sunday, July 20, 2008

alpha female sighting

I've fallen in with a social circle that calls themselves either "Patti's list" or "the nice girls." Patti started the list as an alternative to the mean girls. In one way or another all of us have at one time or another been a victim of the mean girls, and we just have no patience with it. It reminds me of trying to be friends with the Junior High cheerleaders, and going home crying every night. At some point you have to have some self-respect and realize they are the insecure losers, not you.
The mean girls are lead by a woman I referred to last year as "the alpha female." It's kind of funny because I think I said that once to the husband of her tennis partner, and it's taken off like wildfire, the husbands must have gossiped about it and tend to whisper it to me because they totally get what I'm talking about.
So last night I arrived late from work out to dinner with the tennis partner of the alpha female and her husband. I hate to say it but my dinner companions are in fact mean girls. I think they mean well, but sometimes they bulldoze. I tolerate them because our daughters are best friends. Alpha female sidles up to the table and starts chatting up my mean girl friend and her husband. Alpha female is completely invading my space, didn't acknowledge Curtis's or my presence and starts yacking on and on to my friends. I was so tired from my long day at work and now so irritated that it was all I could do not to walk out.
Unbelievable.
She may be able to crush my soul on the tennis court, and be incredibly rude, but I know in my heart that I can put her front wheel in the curb.

No comments: